Friday, April 1, 2016

Memorable Melodies: Lucca's Theme from Chrono Trigger


Song: Lucca's Theme
Game: Chrono Trigger
Composers: Yasunori Mitsuda and Nobuo Uematsu

Chrono Trigger is my favorite video game of all time. Most people who know me are keenly aware of this fact. I could go on and on about how much I love Chrono Trigger and why it's so near to my heart, but I won't. For this feature we're here to talk about music, so that's what we're going to do.

Nobuo Uematsu is arguably one of the most well knows and lauded Japanese composers in the video game industry. Yasunori Mitsuda is similarly well known, but to a lesser degree. I personally think that the both of them do marvelous work, so it's no surprise that when they came together for the Chrono Trigger soundtrack something magical happened. One of the many reasons I love Chrono Trigger is because all of the music is so memorable. Most video game soundtracks are released once, but the Chrono Trigger soundtrack has been remixed and re-released several times over the years. It's a well loved soundtrack.

I want to try to go as long as I can before repeating games in this feature, which is why I've waited to long to bring Chrono Trigger into the picture. I remember every song from this game and still listen to them almost weekly. After much deliberation I decided that I had to go with Lucca's theme. She's the best friend of the game's protagonist. She's way into science and has purple hair. 

The reason I chose Lucca's theme is because it also acts as the fanfare when you win a battle. It's something that you'll hear a ton over the course of the game. It's almost impossible not to remember. 

Whenever I hear this song I immediately get pumped up. It's very up tempo and has a killer underlying drum beat. It sends a message to the player. It wants you to feel good and get pumped up for whatever is to come next. It's motivational in a way that most video game tracks simply aren't.

No comments:

Post a Comment