Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Memorable Melodies: Kokiri Forest from The Legend of Zelda (Ocarina of Time)


Song: Kokiri Forest
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Composer: Koji Kondo

This is a song that most people alive in the mid 90's have heard before. At this point I feel like the Ocarina of Time is so iconic that everyone on the planet has played it at least once. This is obviously hyperbole, but this video game has reached a level of reverence and cultural significance most other games can only dream of. It was revolutionary at the time and is still considered to be the best video game of all time by many. I don't want to have that discussion right now, but I do think that it's one of the most memorable video game experiences I've ever had.

I didn't get a Nintendo 64 until a year or so after Ocarina of Time came out. A few of my friends had the game and would often let me play it. Due to the fact that the game wasn't mine the save I used never lasted very long. This meant that I had to play through the opening of the game an insane amount of times. It's probably the video game I've played the beginning of most in my life. This means that the Kokiri Forest song is burned into my brain for life.

Link wakes up in his crazy forest hut and this quirky tune starts right up. It's fun and upbeat. The perfect way to start an adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment