Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Memorable Melodies: Epilogue ~ The End of the Night


Song: Epilogue ~ The End of the Night
Game: Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Composer: Masakazu Sugimori



Ghost Trick seemed like the kind of game that would be right up my alley. However, for some reason didn't purchase it when it came out. I instead told myself I wouldn't buy it until it was $20. A few summers ago one of my friends called me to let me know that there was a physical copy with the case still intact at the local Gamestop. To this day I am still mad at myself for waiting to buy the game. Without a doubt Ghost Trick is one of my top five favorite games of all time. It has a unique premise, compelling story, and most important of all, an amazing soundtrack.

Masakazu Sugimori is well known for his work on Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, and Phoenix Wright: Justice for all. Both of those are great, and really add to games. The soundtrack he produced for Ghost Trick is no different and I personally think it's the best out of the three. If you asked me to sing/whistle songs from the first two Phoenix Wright games I couldn't do it on cue. Ghost Trick is another story though. 

One thing that makes a video game tune particularly memorable to me is when it ends up being tied to a particular scene in my mind. In the case of this one it's tied to the credits of Ghost Trick, because that's  the point where it plays. Man, the ending of Ghost Trick is insane. At first I didn't even believe it. I had to set my DS down several times in shock as it played out. The ending continues into the credits as scenes detailing what happened to the characters play out. Interspersed between the character vignettes are the credits. 

During the credits I felt gleeful. The game was a wild ride that had some great twists. Epilogue is a combination of the main theme of Ghost Trick and a new melody that makes you feel victorious, It says that the struggle is over and it's something to be happy about.

Thinking about the Ghost Trick ending gets me all warm and fuzzy inside. This song sure is a doozy, What a great game! Capcom needs to put out more stuff like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment