Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Memorable Melodies - Lookin' Fresh from Splatoon


Song: Lookin' Fresh
Game Splatoon
Composer: Toru Minegishi

It's getting close to the end of the year, which has me thinking about all of the games that came out in 2015. As I try to whittle the games I've played down to a top ten list Splatoon keeps popping into my mind. I remember everyone getting excited about it when it was first announced, but I couldn't have cared less at the time.

After playing Splatoon I totally changed my mind. Nintendo took a risk, which they normally don't do. Splatoon is a fresh and friendly take on third person shooters. Shooting ink everywhere is a blast and the game truly feels unique. 

What's even better to me is that the game is overflowing with style. The inklings you play as are way into fashion, and all of the clothing is as hip as it can be. To match the hip and colorful style of the characters the soundtrack of Splatoon sounds like it came from an early Gorillaz album. It's got some sick hip-hop beats. My personal favorite is the shop music. There are four shops, and the song gets remixed slightly in each one. 

I'm here to tell you that the jam playing in the shoe store is the freshest track I've ever heard in a Nintendo game. Seriously, just check it out. In my mind this song and the style of Splatoon are synonymous. 

I hope that the success of this game means that Nintendo will be more willing to go outside of their comfort zone in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment