Thursday, September 10, 2015

Memorable Melodies: Seaside Town from Super Mario RPG


Song: Seaside Town
Game: Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars
Composer: Yoko Shimomura

Last night after streaming Inazuma Eleven I hunkered down to play Metal Gear Solid V. I kept getting the nagging feeling that I was forgetting something, and I was! The fact that I hadn't posted Memorable Melodies came to me earlier today at work when I started whistling a delightful video game tune. I have now snapped out of my Metal Gear Solid induced haze to deliver you the newest edition of Memorable Melodies.

As you may have imagined Seaside Town from Super Mario RPG is the song I was whistling all day at work. I don't know why, but I have a rotation of video game songs I like to whistle. Seaside Town in particular is fun, because it's a jaunty sea shanty. There's no real rhyme or reason to it either. I just feel the need to whistle and something comes out!

There are numerous songs from Super Mario RPG that I adore, but I figured I'd start with this one. Seaside town is a coastal resort village, which is inhabited by weirdos when you first get there. The villain Yardovich took all the villagers and stuffed them in a shed while he and his minions pretended to be them in order to trick anyone who visited. Obviously Mario figures it out and beats him to a pulp, and the town returns to normal. There's a bit more story in between, but that's unimportant to this feature.

I know I'll never forget Seaside town, even if the only two sea related things in it are a wooden anchor at the entrance and this enchanting sea shanty. I just can't help but think of this song playing through some saloon doors down by the docks in a pirate infested world. Obviously Mario RPG isn't totally infested by pirates, but you do fight a pirate shark, so that's close enough I guess.

I hope that listening to the song has given you the urge to whistle! If you do make sure you do it loudly and proudly! Look forward to more dope tracks from Super Mario RPG in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment