Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Memorable Melodies: Ring a Bell from Tales of Vesperia

English

Japanese

Song: Ring a Bell (Kane o Narashite)
Game: Tales of Vesperia
Artist: Bonnie Pink

Tales of Symphonia was the first Tales game I played to completion. I had dabbled with other games in the action RPG franchise, but never really got hooked. For years I sang the praises of Symphonia, but somehow managed to skip over the excellence that was Tales of Vesperia, most likely due to the fact that I didn't have an Xbox 360. After playing one of the new entries in the franchise, Tales of Xillia, I decided to go back to Vesperia and tried it out. I instantly fell in love, and I can say that without a doubt Vesperia is my favorite Tales game.

We're not here to talk about my favorite Tales game though. We're here to talk about the hot jam Ring a Bell that appears in the opening of Vesperia. When you first boot the game Ring a Bell is playing over an anime cutscene. The scene introduces you to the world and characters of Vesperia, and gets you pumped up for the experience to follow. Very rarely do I let scenes like this play every time I boot a game, but with Vesperia I just had to see it through each and every time. Bonnie Pink knows how to set a tone!

Bonnie Pink is a Japanese musical artist, and she sings both the Japanese and English versions of the song. They are obviously the same aside from language, which is why I have both embedded above. Normally I think that songs written in Japanese sound better that way, but she pulls it off in English very well. You can judge which one is better for yourself.

Ring a Bell is a song I turn to when I need to simultaneously pumped up and inspired. I think part of my feelings toward the song come from the accompanying anime cutscene. Rapide is such a badass. Who doesn't love a scarred up dog who fights with a knife in his mouth?

No comments:

Post a Comment