Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Memorable Melodies: Klomp's Romp from Donkey Kong Country 2


Song: Klomp's Romp
Game: Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Composer: Dave Wise


Welcome to the first in a new weekly series called Memorable Melodies. As you may have surmised from the title I will be sharing my most favorite and memorable video game jams with you. People like to get caught up in the gameplay and plot when playing a video game, but sometimes it's just as fun to sit back and enjoy the music.

Man, let me tell you, I enjoy me some Klomp's Romp from Donkey Kong Country 2. There's always been something about pirates that has grabbed my interest. I can't tell you if it's their lust for treasure, free roaming spirit, or their sick pirate shanties. All I know is that when I think about pirates I tend to get pumped up. DKC 2 is all about pirates! That's the main reason I like the song so much, and it's certainly a tune I will always remember.

The song plays in the very first level of the game, and it perfectly sets the stage for what is to come. It starts off with just the sound of an old pirate ship creaking as the waves carry it along. Then, after a few moments a delightful little sea shanty comes in to accompany the sound of the waves. I like to whistle, and still often find myself whistling to this every so often. In fact, I'm whistling the song right now as I type this. It's just too catchy not to! It perfectly captures the games signature essence, which contains pirates, adventure, and conquest. Dave Wise is a top notch composer, so expect to see more of his work here in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment