Saturday, December 13, 2014

Party Game Sundays: Oops! Prank Party

It may have seemed like I forgot about Party Game Sundays, but I never forget about Party Game Sundays. For some reason the past few Sundays we haven't really been playing any games, and this most recent Sunday we were at a fighting game tournament. Obviously we did not play any party games while we were there. However, I have neglected to write about the last two games we did play.

Before I do that though I wanted to say that I will not be able to write about Party Game Sundays for at least another month. Noukeo will be working every Sunday for the rest of the month, so we won't get to do anything again for a few weeks. With that being said let me tell you about Oops! Prank Party. I absolutely hated it!

Get ready to look at this stupid board a lot!

I'm all for playing a party game with friends. Under the right circumstances I think that even Mario Party is fun. I've been known to enjoy it on certain occasions, but Oops! Prank Party really hit me the wrong way. Any time I see a game board in a video game I instinctively cringe. It generally means that I need to mentally prep myself for bad mini-games and slow moving animations. Sure enough Oops! Prank Party gave me both.

To start off the game had an awesome character creation screen. We took the time to make our characters, but in the end it didn't matter at all. Each time you play a mini-game the losers are "pranked" and are forced to wear some kind of dumb costume, or get a bunch of goo dumped on them. By the second mini-game you can't tell what the hell your character was originally supposed to look like.

Don't bother making a character.

When I say mini-game I use that term very lightly. Sure there were your basic mini-games like racing and bouncing each other around on balls. However, most of the games involved random chance. So many times we had to choose the right chair, or rope and just hope that we picked the right one. That kind of stuff is stupid. I want to play a game, not pray to some RNG god.

So the mini-games weren't amazing, but some of them were okay. They definitely don't explain why I felt so much disdain towards this game. I think my main issue was the fact that everything took so god damn long to happen. The camera has to follow each player individually as they move, it has to show a dumb animation for every space that's landed on, and it takes a stupid amount of time to load. All around there was just so much waiting it made me angry.

Pick the right diving board and win...

The most upsetting part is that there was no pulling pranks on other players like the name of the game promises. If you land on certain spaces you get "pranked" which basically makes you go back a few spaces. You also get "pranked" when you lose mini-games and have to wear silly costumes. What I thought was going to happen was we'd be able to screw each other over in the games and on the board. Instead we got lame mini-games, silly costumes, and a slow moving game with tons of animation.

It's been a few weeks so my anger has subsided, but when we initially played this I was legitimately angered by the game. There were so many opportunities for the game to speed up, but it instead took as long as possible. It didn't help that the mini-games took like 10 seconds each and were mostly random chance. The majority of the game is watching your characters move around the board slowly.

I definitely think that this game will appeal to some people, but for me it was like nails on a chalkboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment