Thursday, July 31, 2014

Party Game Sundays: Movie Games

This makes no sense...

The concept of this game still makes no sense to me. It's called Movie Games. The box claims that you act out movie scenes. In my mind that means that you act out movie scenes. However, what the game means is that you play the most mediocre themes mini-games every conceived. Now, I'm not getting angry here, I'm just very confused. Why wasn't this just released as a themed mini-game collection instead of being called Movie Games? As far as I could tell there was absolutely nothing that let me know that these mini-games were the sets of movies. 

Yous start off by picking one of the five themes the game has to offer. They are pirate, prehistoric, alien, haunted house, and space station. Each theme has four mini-games in it, but the last one is locked until you beat 15 mini-games altogether. We ended up playing them all, and I can't really remember a whole lot about them to be quite honest. 

Dancing skeletons are cool I guess.

The game started off okay, with a few unique mini-games. They weren't anything special, but they were competent. Where it really started to rub me the wrong way was when I realized that there were really only like 3 or 4 mini-games that were being slightly changed and re-skinned. One was a match 3 puzzle game, another involved dancing to the beat, and there was also one where you needed to shoot gems. Those are the only things I remember. In the haunted house skeletons danced and that was pretty cool I guess. They control fairly well, but go on for way too long. The dancing ones in particular felt like they went on forever.

Before each mini-game a brief synopsis of a plot was given, which is where I assume the movie element comes in. In the space station they introduced someone named Dr. Notsogood, which is a great name. That was the thing that stood out to me the most about this game. When I remember a name from a throwaway plot synopsis more than the actual game itself you definitely have a problem. Movie Games wasn't bad by any stretch, it was just super mediocre and completely forgettable. If you asked me about this game in a year I bet I wouldn't remember anything about it.

     -Manny

No comments:

Post a Comment